Stepping Into Leadership
The UHS Training Program for New Supervisors
Stepping Into Leadership was designed, developed, and launched in mid-2020 to address the unique training needs of new supervisors as they transition from an individual contributor to supervising others.
The following topics are covered:
- Transitioning into a New Role as a Supervisor
- Building a High-Performance Team
- Engaging and Retaining Employees
- Having Effective Conversations
The key elements of the program include:
- Virtual training program for new leaders across all divisions providing the unique opportunity to gain different perspectives, connect and build relationships with other new leaders across the company
- Four (4) core virtual classroom sessions and an online orientation
- Sessions offered every Thursday with topics rotating each week
- New leaders can join the program at any time
- Applied learning with real-life assignments between sessions
- Reinforcements after each session summarizing key points and action planning to apply on the job
In addition, Coaching Guides have been developed for each session, which contain a snapshot of the learning objectives and key questions to facilitate developmental discussions before and after each new leader completes the session to ensure they apply what they’ve learned.
Since its inception, more than 300 new leaders have graduated from the Stepping Into Leadership program.
“As a first-time leader, I needed guidance and education so that I can implement my work better. Stepping Into Leadership gave me approaches for how to handle issues such as corrective action and how to deal with conflict. It provided tools to help me build my team.”
New leaders are typically enrolled and complete the program within 30 days into their new role. Enrollment is orchestrated through the UHS Learning Management System (LMS), HealthStream.
If you have any questions about the program, contact your local HR department or the Corporate Learning & Development team.